Saturday, November 26, 2011

3 tips for morning running

Tonight's sunset...4:30pm. It's getting darker, earlier, and there's nothing we can do about it, or is there? I've been less motivated to run, or even work out as of late do to the decreasing daylight and warmth. Seeking the solace of my living room sofa and television have been all too enticing.

I am an evening runner. I love the post work run but now that it's barely light enough to see the path, I have to resort to changing my routine. As it's been darker earlier, that means it's also been lighter earlier, in the morning that is. Sunrise is at 6:30 am. I usually need about 30 minutes to feel comfortable enough to get moving. Here are my three tips to morning running:

Tip 1: Automatic coffee maker
I don't know about you, but I need coffee in the morning to really get going. I set my drip machine's timer the night before to start making coffee at the same time as my alarm clock. By the time I get out of bed, there's a hot pot waiting in the kitchen.

Tip 2: Have your running gear ready
Lay out, ball up in a pile, or sleep in your running clothes. I hate stumbling around in the morning looking for the right clothes to wear. Once I have my shorts or running pants on, I am more likely to actually go running then just sit on the couch drinking my pre made coffee.

Tip 3: The battle with the bathroom
Contraversial topic here, but it needs to be addressed. We all know what it's like running before evacuating the troops. Cramps, sluggishness, uncertainty that we'll even make it the whole way without the need to stop and find relief. Coffee is a natural diaretic and can help move things along, hence why tip 1 is tip 1.

1 comment:

  1. The usual mix of entertainment and solid advice. Bravo, Mr. Marx.

    ReplyDelete

Spread the word